Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cave time :D


If you haven’t guessed already I am going to make a sort of dungeon type thing in Google Sketch-up like something you would find in a video game. In order to start this I needed to create an entrance to the dungeon so I decided to use a cave.

Looks very cave like doesn't it? Well it may not be cave like yet but eventually it will be. The lines on either side are the same distance from the ends. I made these lines to make sure that my soon to be curved edges are even. Then again who has heard of an even cave but I could not stand making something that is un-even...isn't that a sign of OCD?

See I told you the lines were going to do something. I used the curve tool and selected the bottom corner of one of the lines then clicked the top corner of the same line. I then brought the line out by the same distance on both sides and thus my curved cave was created. I still needed to fix up a few things so I guess the curved cave was not really created yet.

The first thing I needed to fix up was the curves I had just made. I needed to get rid of the excess in order for it to actually be curved. I also needed to erase some of the un-needed lines. I was stuck on this at first because it was deleting the whole surface not the line. This was fixed once I looked at the erase tool a bit more and saw that if you hold shift and click on a line it will only delete that line. This will really help me out in the future when I have to heal the surface (deleting un-needed lines). Now that the sides were all nice I needed to make the top of the cave curved.



Adding the top curve was pretty simple all I had to do was repeat what I did with the side curved but only do it once because there is only one top. I then needed to use the push and pull tool to make sure the curves go from the beginning of the cave to the end. Once that was done my cave was complete. However as you can see some of the sides where different colours and at first I did not know how to fix it.

The only solution to my problem I found was to use the paint bucket tool and make all the sides the same colour. Now that the basics of my cave are complete I need to only do a few things to it. I need to work out how to download new textures and get a more cave like one for the colour of my cave. I also need to hollow out the front of the cave so it is an entrance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment