Wednesday, April 18, 2012

First attempt

Hello everyone again. Since I wanted to get a starting point of what I can do in Inkscape (like I did with my duck in Google SketchUp) to compare it to something at the end of this project I decided to make a quick and easy smiley face. I used the 'Draw Bezier curves and straight lines' tool to draw the eyes and mouth. Once I did that I used the 'Select' tool to move it around. Now with the eyes and mouth done I thought I might as well use the 'Create Circle' tool to make a head for it. I then messed around with 'Fill and Stroke' tool which can be found under the 'Object' drop down menu. I turned the circle I made yellow but then I could not see the eyes and mouth. So to fix this I turned down the opacity slider (the A one out of the RGB A sliders) to about 142. With this now done I felt that I was fairly happy with my first attempt and wanted to export the image. I first tried doing this in the 'save as' option but found out that did not work. So I then checked the 'File' drop down menu and found the 'Export Bitmap' button. Once I clicked this I was given a whole bunch of options which I pretty much ignored. I went to click the export button but I was then given this error, "You have to enter a filename." So I did what the error told me to do and then clicked the export button again. I was once again faced with the same error. So this time instead of just entering a name I clicked the browse button. I then realised what my issue was; I had not stated where I wanted the object saved in the file name. So instead of typing 'Smiley face' I should have typed 'K:\smiley face.png'. With this issue finally fixed I ended up with this.
Simple I know but I wanted to see what I could do first without the help of tutorials. I was fairly happy with my first attempt and I thought learning how to export an image from Inkscape is really important so I am even happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment